Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The best and worst of my job

Today was a great day, because I got to call someone up and tell them they got the job. I love that!

It was also tough, because I called someone who had done a terrific job throughout the interview process and let them know they didn't get the job.

I don't enjoy giving people such news, but I understand that at a minimum people appreciate closure, even if it is not what they want to hear.

There are times when we think a candidate is great in many ways, but not the right fit. There was one such candidate recently. I left them a message, with a brief explanation. In return, I got one of the nicest, classiest responses ever. Although it did not change the outcome (in fact the candidate agreed with the rationale), that person's stock shot way, way up in my eyes.

If I ever have or hear of something that is a great fit for that person- I will definitely call them right up.

My recommendation is always to be as gracious as possible if you are not the chosen candidate and ask to be considered for future opportunities. It's even appropriate to drop a line from time to time too, maybe a couple times a year. In time, it could lead to a positive outcome.

No comments: